THE ‘JOKOWI’-KALLA MANIFESTO
Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates Joko Widodo and Jusuf Kalla last week submitted their political manifesto to the Indonesian National Election Commission, as is required to join the presidential race.
The PDI-P (Indonesian Democratic Party – Struggle) and their coalition's manifesto – which outlines the policy priorities and vision of the ‘Jokowi’-Kalla ticket – is titled Road of Changes for Sovereign, Independent and Strong Character Indonesia. The vision it outlines is based on the principles gotong-royong (communality; people helping each other).
The Jokowi-Kalla team puts forward seven objectives in its platform. They are to create:
1. National security to protect Indonesia’s sovereignty and territory
2. Developed society based on the law: Mewujudkan masyarakat maju
3. Free and active foreign policy and relationships
4. A high quality, educated Indonesian population
5. A highly competitive, productive nation
6. A strong and independent maritime constituency
7. A society with good character, embracing the Indonesian culture
For the full statement, click here.
THE PRABOWO-HATTA MANIFESTO
Meanwhile the alternative ticket – putting forward former general Prabowo Subianto as President, with Hatta Rajasa, a moderate Islamic leader and seasoned politician, as Vice President - has also outlined its vision. It articulates its priorities in terms of unity, sovereignty, fairness, prosperity and dignity for Indonesia.
The Prabowo-Hatta ticket is led by the Gerindra party, enlisting a large coalition including the country’s second largest political force, Golkar. The manifesto promises:
1. A secure, prosperous, democratic, sovereign Indonesia which uphold the state ideology Pancasila and the state constution UUD 1945
2. A just, prosperous, democratic and independent Indonesia
3. A socially-just Indonesia, with good character and high quality human resources
The Prabowo-Hatta team also pledge to introduce concrete action plans to save Indonesia, including to build:
1. A strong, sovereign, just and prosperous economy
2. ‘Pro-people’ economics platform
3. Independence in food, energy and natural resources
4. High quality human resource through educational reform
5. Social welfare systems in health, social programs, religion, culture and sports
6. Accelerated infrastructure development
7. Environmental protection
8. A strong government that protects its people, free from corruption with an effective public service.
The full document can be accessed here.